Former Pakistan Test player wants senior batsmen to quit

312

ISLAMABAD — Former Pakistan Test players are calling for the removal of senior batsmen from the limited-overs squad after Pakistan struggled to beat the West Indies by five wickets in the Champions Trophy group match.

“It’s time the senior batsmen should say good bye,” Ramiz Raja told a talk show on private television channel GEO Super after Wednesday’s match.

The under-strength West Indies playedvaliantly after being bowled out for 133 but Pakistan reached the target in the 31st over despite losing five top batsmen.

Pakistan’s experienced trio of Shoaib Malik, Mohammad Yousuf and Misbah-ul-Haq were out cheaply, leaving their team limping at 76-5 until young Umar Akaml (41 not out) and stand-in captain Shahid Afridi (17) guided the team to victory.

“They (experienced batsmen) looked novices while Akmal batted with much more maturity,” Raja said.

Pakistan had kept faith with Yousuf, Malik and Misbah for the Champions Trophy despite the fact that they struggled against Sri Lanka in the limited-overs series last month.

“It looked as if they don’t have bats in their hands,” Raja said.

Former Test opener Aamir Sohail said that the experienced batsmen are not playing for the team.

“They are playing for their survival, they have always struggled on the wicket where there’s seem movement,” he said.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here